End of Gamespy... End of Halo?

[XK]Mátêrìã
=The General=

Re: End of Gamespy... End of Halo?

Post#16 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:25 am

[XK]meancloth wrote:What is that 20,000 needed number even mean? It seems completely arbitrary. Are they saying that microsoft will agree to adopt a game they didn't develop if it reaches that number?

I'm glad the game existed and created communities that still last to this day, but in all honesty, that game can die in a fire. It was Okay at the time (I say okay because it was a very bad port of an amazing game). And, most of the people that played it, played it because you could crack it and play for free, and then eventually save up 8 dollars and buy a key.

100,000 sigs wont save that game.

That's how change.org petitions work, I think they usually go on forever. (e.g once you reach 20K, it doubles to 40K)

That's cause, in all honesty, you sucked, lol. For those who really got into it seriously and got pretty good, Halo was a lot more than okay during the 2003-2008 era. It was pretty much a teenage nerd's second life.

Your sig was interesting. I expect it taken down after a couple of days once everyone has seen it, it stops being interesting, and it becomes annoying. I'd prefer not making this site a NSFW environment, because it's a valuable time killer.
{Pro}Trip: 10.) Being inspired to do drugs. I never did any drugs and only smoked pot like one time before I joined [XK].

[XK]meancloth
=The General=

Post#17 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:29 am

[XK]Mátêrìã wrote:
[XK]meancloth wrote:What is that 20,000 needed number even mean? It seems completely arbitrary. Are they saying that microsoft will agree to adopt a game they didn't develop if it reaches that number?

I'm glad the game existed and created communities that still last to this day, but in all honesty, that game can die in a fire. It was Okay at the time (I say okay because it was a very bad port of an amazing game). And, most of the people that played it, played it because you could crack it and play for free, and then eventually save up 8 dollars and buy a key.

100,000 sigs wont save that game.

That's how change.org petitions work, I think they usually go on forever. (e.g once you reach 20K, it doubles to 40K)

That's cause, in all honesty, you sucked, lol. For those who really got into it seriously and got pretty good, Halo was a lot more than okay during the 2003-2008 era. It was pretty much a teenage nerd's second life.

Your sig was interesting. I expect it taken down after a couple of days once everyone has seen it, it stops being interesting, and it becomes annoying. I'd prefer not making this site a NSFW environment, because it's a valuable time killer.

Valid argument, you've completely convinced me otherwise.

Garniso
Gives Shitty Advice

Post#18 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:37 am

GameRanger just announced that all Halo 1 versions for PC will be playable through their server listing feature. I'm not familiar with how it will work other than GameRanger is a service similar to Tunngle

Garniso
Gives Shitty Advice

Post#19 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Looks like Halo will be getting an official fix for the GameSpy shutdown and a few other maintenance fixes:
- permit resolutions up 4800x3600
- enable active camo on Nvidia (it will render like other cards now instead of just alpha blending)
- fixed video memory value to support 2GB cards
- fixed handling of periods in map names
- network access is enabled in devmode
- sv_ban_penalty in init.txt works to set new values
- models node limit raised to 63
- ignores checksum of strings.dll
- various overflow, validation and other code fixes

Some back story on the upcoming patch:

As I explained before, GameSpy is shutting down on May 31, 2014. That would mean the end of the Internet Lobby in the game, which would have a huge impact on Halo multiplayer.

I have fantastic news! It will get fixed!! You'll need to update your Halo install, but then the Lobby will work just as it always has! (Details on how to update will follow in another post when the update is ready.)

A small group has been quietly preparing for the shutdown of the GameSpy Master Server (which provides the list of Halo servers) and they are finally ready to discuss their work. The group consists of Roger Wolfson aka Sawnose (of Bungie), Btcc22 (of HAC2), Kornman00 (of OpenSauce) and myself, Technut (of PÕQ Clan).

As a result of their work, especially Btcc22 and Roger, Bungie will be releasing version 1.0.10 of Halo PC and Halo CE soon, which will include the fix for the Lobby!

When I first heard that GameSpy was shutting down I contacted Roger at Bungie. We had corresponded before and he has always been very responsive to any issues that threatened Halo online play (his previous patches have resolved many problems). Kornman00 had also contacted Roger and the three of us started discussing what, if anything, could be done. Roger could make any changes required to the Halo client and server but we'd need a new Master Server to replace the GameSpy one.

Fortunately I knew of a couple of community members who had started work in that direction. Btcc22 and sehé°° (of SAPP) were planning to create a Master Server and unofficial patches, and Btcc22 had already made some progress on the Master Server.

I contacted Btcc22 and he agreed to share his work on the Master Server with us. It was a good fit. Btcc22 would provide the Master Server code and Bungie would host the Master Server on behalf of the community.

Btcc22 has since put many hours into completing the Master Server component and Roger has likewise put a lot of hours into preparing for the Master Server and updating the Halo client and server components (even incorporating some other fixes and suggestions from the rest of us).

Now, approximately 1 month later, we are all on the verge of receiving an official patch from Bungie which will extend the life of Halo multiplayer beyond the end of GameSpy and hopefully well into the future!

[XK]Erøsion
=The General=

Post#20 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:20 pm

I was just coming to post that. Dam nigga.

[XK]Mátêrìã
=The General=

Post#21 » Mon May 26, 2014 3:06 pm

Niceee
{Pro}Trip: 10.) Being inspired to do drugs. I never did any drugs and only smoked pot like one time before I joined [XK].

Return to “HALO PC CE”